The History of Chris-Craft Corporation’s Jamestown Division In Falconer, New York, 1943-1948
by: Fletcher Edward Ward
After nearly two years of research, the 85 page history of Chris-Craft’s Jamestown Division assembly plant has been released by Fletcher Edward Ward. Publication of the book was through a generous grant from the Chautauqua Region Community Foundation, Jamestown, NY.
All proceeds benefit the Lawson Boating Heritage Center on Chautauqua Lake. Opened in 2012, the Lawson Center showcases the history of the Lawson Boat & Engine Company, later known as L-S Aero Marine, along with the boating and fishing history of Chautauqua Lake.
The book includes:
- A brief history of the Chris-Craft Corporation;
- Building a 16′ Special Runabout;
- Building a 26′ Deluxe Enclosed Cruiser;
- Contract Issues;
- Survivors of a By-gone Era;
- and the Jamestown Plant Displays at the Lawson Boating Heritage Center.
More than 70 historic black & white and color photographs further document the history of the Jamestown Plant.
To order your copy: Visit the Center’s secure website: www.thelawsoncenter.org or, send your $20.00 check, payable to the Lawson Center, PO Box 10, Bemus Point NY 14712-0010.
The Antique and Classic Boat Society maintains a list of museums on this website. Each one of these museums focuses on preserving the history of boats, boating, and the people who created, used, and loved antique and classic boats. The Lawson Boating Heritage Center on Chautauqua Lake is part of the list.
If you know of another museum which would have valuable information for our ACBS members or you think would be of interest to members as they travel, please send that information to [email protected].
All viewers: this ACBS website welcomes your pictures and stories! We love to even share with our larger audience what has already been shown to your own chapter and friends. Send your pictures, reports, announcements, and boat biographies to [email protected]
- Pictures of individual boats with brief descriptions are included in the Tuesday Tour of Vintage Boats
- Stories and reports will become one of the news posts which are freshly published nearly on a daily basis