Come to Clayton! This time in May for the ACBS and ABM Symposium.
May 18th – 20th in Clayton, NY. You can see by the map that the Headquarters for Antique and Classic Boat Society and the Antique Boat Museum are just a few blocks apart. These good neighbors work together to put on a great weekend of exploring local boat shops, technique demonstrations, and hands-on work-while-you-learn sessions.
All details and registration are available by clicking here.
This spring the Museum and the Antique and Classic Boat Society (ACBS) will be co-hosting their annual in-depth, hands-on weekend restoration symposium on May 18-20. Symposium will kick off with a Boat Shop Hop, a chance to visit several local boat restoration shops. Last year participants built a bottom on the 10’ racer named Mosquito. This year phase II will continue as Mosquito is planked. Restoration of MT, one of ABM’s knockabout sailboats will be another ongoing project for participants. Additional hands-on workshops include: staining and color matching, as well as fiberglass repair. Presentations include: systems affecting how your boat runs, boat show judging criteria, and a historical talk on Higgins Industries.
Tuition fee: adult registration fee of $199 ($225 after May 1), youth registration fee (18 and younger) is $100 ($110 after May 1). The registration fee covers all lesson materials and these meals: Friday dinner, Saturday breakfast and lunch, and Sunday breakfast.
- Friday, May 18, 2018
- 12:00 PM- 4:00 PM Check in at the Museum; pick up registration and welcome packet
- 12:00 PM – 1:15 PM Tour of the ABM’s Library and Archives
- 12:00 PM – 4:00 PM Boat Shop Hop. Six local boat shops will be open for drop-in visitors. Visit as many or as few as you want to talk to the owners and see current projects.
- 3:00 – 5:00 PM Doebler Building open for self-guided tour
- 5:30 PM Cash Bar at The Clipper Inn Restaurant, followed by dinner (dinner included with your registration)
Note about Saturday’s schedule:
Two workshops will run concurrently in the morning. The same two workshops will again run concurrently in the afternoon. In addition to the 2-hour workshops, two boat projects will be ongoing all day in the Mary Street shop. Participants will be able to attend both workshops with time leftover to participate in the Mary Street boat projects OR forego a workshop and spend a longer block of time participating in the Mary Street projects.
- SATURDAY, MAY 19, 2018
- 8:00 AM Breakfast at ABM (included with registration)
- 8:45 AM – 10:45 AM Staining and Color Matching, a hands-on workshop in the Stone Building
- 8:45 AM – 10:45 AM Fiberglass Boat Repair: Properly Repairing Gouges and Deep Scratches, a hands-on workshop at St. Lawrence Restoration
- Noon – 1:00 PM Lunch at ABM (included with registration)
- 1:15 PM – 3:15 PM Staining and Color Matching, a hands-on workshop in the Stone Building
- 1:15 AM – 3:15 PM Fiberglass Boat Repair: Properly Repairing Gouges and Deep Scratches, a hands-on workshop at St. Lawrence Restoration
- 8:45 AM – 4:15 PM Restoration of MT, a knockabout sailboat, will be ongoing all day in the Mary Street Shop. Attendees are welcome to participate or watch on a drop-in basis.
- 8:45 AM – 4:15 PM Phase II of work on Mosquito, the little racer begun last year, will be ongoing all day in the Mary Street Shop. Focus on planking and next steps of completion. Attendees are welcome to participate or watch on a drop-in basis.
- 4:30 PM – 5:30 PM Talk by Tony Mollica on Higgins Industries. His historic boating talks are always a wonderful way to end the day.
Dinner will be on your own. A list of recommended restaurants will be in your welcome packet.
- SUNDAY, MAY 21, 2017
- 8:00 AM Breakfast at ABM (included in your registration)
- 8:45 AM- 10:15 AM Understanding Why and When Your Boat Is or Isn’t Running Well
- 10:30 AM – 12:00 PM Panel Discussion of Boat Show Judging Criteria followed by Q & A
Contact Debra Rantanen at [email protected] with any questions.
For lodging accommodations please visit the Clayton Chamber of Commerce webpage www.1000islands-clayton.com or contact them by phone at 1-800-252-9806.