Made in Wisconsin! Not just cheese – but antique and classic boats.
The 2017 ACBS International Boat Show (September 6-9) in Racine, Wisconsin will be the premier show for antique and classic boats of all ages, styles, and composition. Among the vintage boats will be several that were manufactured right in Wisconsin.
Pictured above is Old School, a 1963 T&T Boats, Inc., 16′ White Cap model boat manufactured in Wausaukee, Wisconsin. Here is the biography of Old School shared with us by Jill and Perry Edwards, members of the Glacier Lakes Chapter:
Bio of T & T White Cap Outboard
I purchased this unique wooden outboard last Fall (2016). It had at least two previous owners who had painted it with aqua colored accents.
I was not familiar with the T & T boat brand and after some research I learned that Glenn Thompson and his son Kenny had operated T&T Boats in Wausaukee, Wisconsin.
Glenn originally was part of the Thompson Brothers Boat Mfg. Company in Peshtigo, Wisc., but split off from the company to begin his own operation in Wausaukee. From 1960 through 1964 he designed and built wooden lapstrake boats. This White Cap model is one of the boats Glenn designed. Unfortunately, T & T Boats only lasted about 4 and 1/2 years and closed in early 1965.
I learned from ACBS records that approximately five T&T boats are registered but none of them are White Cap models. This may be the only White Cap that still exists.
I was happy to find T&T history and photos of this model online which helped me to refinish the boat with the originally designed coloring.
Her nickname is “Old School“.
Perry Edwards – Glacier Lakes Chapter
Other Wisconsin manufacturers of vintage boats will surely be represented at the show. Look for boats by:
- Dunphy Boat Co. – established in 1854 in Eau Claire, WI, moving to Oshkosh in the 1930’s
- Sunflower Boat Works – 1895 – 1960 at Lake Tomahawk, WI
- Thompson – established in 1904 in Peshtigo, WI
- Century – established in 1926 in Milwaukee, moved to Michigan two years later
- Globe Mastercraft by Inland Marine Co. – in 1948 at Williams Bay, WI
- Streblow – began in 1951 in Kenosha, WI and continues production today
- Cruisers Inc. – began manufacturing in 1953 in Oconto, WI
- Carver – established in 1954 in Milwaukee and Green Bay, WI
- T&T Boats – 1960-1964 in Wausaukee, WI
- Gage-Hacker – began building wooden boats in 1965 in Geneva, WI
Manufacturers in this list were mentioned in The Real Runabouts series written by Bob Speltz.
Share your own boat and boating pictures on this ACBS website by emailing them to [email protected]