Report and photos by Dan Gyoerkoe, ACBS Executive Director
The new ACBS promotional video starts with the question, “How do you spend your weekends?”
If bright sunshine, clear skies, great people, vintage boats and cars, music, nearly 1,000 miles of shoreline and great BBQ with a side of smoked mac and cheese sounds good, I suggest you plan a trip to the Hartwell Boat Show in Hartwell, GA (April each year). The event is organized through a partnership with the ACBS Blue Ridge Chapter and the Hart County Chamber of Commerce.
Attendance was estimated around 3,000 for this year’s event held April 20-22.
The show included a total of 48 boats representing a broad range of types with the oldest boat a 1917 Truscott Cabin Launch. I was fortunate to go for rides in a 1947 Chris Craft U-22, a 1972 Century Resorter, and a 1985 Donzi Classic 2+3.
Congratulations to the winners!
- Skippers Choice: Ciao Baby a 1971 Riva Junior owned by Ed and Sarah James
- People’s Choice: Sunburn a 1960 Dorsett Catalina owned by Stephanie Ryan
- Best Runabout: Miss Dot a 1941 Chris Craft 101 owned by Terry Limehouse and Chery Woods
- Best Utility: Costa Plenty a 1947 Chris Craft Deluxe Sportsman owned by Denny and Millie Cutler
- Best Contemporary: Double Take a 2008 Chris Craft Cobra replica owned by Mark and Janet Weinberger
- Best Antique: Popeye a 1917 Trucott Launch owned by Al and Bonnie Olsen
- Best Classic: Wooden Nickel a 1957 Correct Craft Rocket Skier owned by Brian and Sue Aiken
- Best Outboard: Glenn a 1956 Lyman owned by Glenn Perish
- Best Century: Riley Alice a 1958 Coronado owned by Ray and Della Glenn.
- Best Chris Craft: Smith Skiff a 1957 Chris Craft Sea Skiff owned by Al and Fay Smith
- Best Non-Wood: Sunburn a 1960 Dorsett Catalina owned by Stephanie Ryan